Monday 4 March 2013

Book Rant: The Parasol Protectorate Series

I haven't really finished the Parasol Protectorate series completely. I have read 4 out of 5 books in the series and am halfway through the 5th. I had not heard of this series at all. I was trying to search for good Steampunk novels and came across this series. The first Steampunk novel i read was Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. So i was expecting something gloomy and serious from Soulless. Then I realized this series was called the Parasol Protectorate. This series was very funny. It  was completely different from what i was expecting. In a good way.

SPOILERS AHEAD


What I am loving the most in the series is that the female protagonist has been very consistent. She comes off as a tough and opinionated woman. Except for how quickly she accepted her husband in the 3rd installment Changeless. The books have woven a very good world. It's funny to me how Alexia is a part of the supernatural world but is oblivious to most of its machinations. This always lands her in trouble. And what novel based in England in the 1800's is complete without a butler like Floote? He is one of my favorite characters in the series. The others being Biffy and Professor Lyall and of course Ivy Tunstell who isn't the airhead she seems to be.

I am fascinated with this alternate reality where the supernatural have been integrated in to polite society. But not all over the world. Only in England. The Italians abhor them, the Americans are scared of them. The way Queen Victoria is portrayed reminds me of how Cleopatra is portrayed in the Asterix series. In that case it was Cleopatra's nose and here Queen Victoria's Height. The relationship between Lord Maccon and Alexia was not portrayed as well as it could be. The relationship between her and almost every other character was written better.

I am looking forward to knowing about Alexia's father in the final installment of the series and to see how the author ties up most of the story lines in the series. This series has had its highs and lows but all in all this is a fun read. I would give it a 3.8 or 4 out of 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment