Tuesday 30 April 2013

My Trekkie Experience

Since I was little I have seen and heard Star Trek referenced in a lot of books and movies. It has also been mentioned quite a lot in The Big Bang Theory. I understand a few of the mentions, like "Live Long and Prosper" the Vulcan greeting. I had also watched a few random shows when the show was airing on Star World a while back. I've always wanted to watch the complete series as I am a Sci-Fi junkie.

The first Star Trek I watched was Star Trek : Voyager. This show aired after Star Trek : The Next Generation had already been off air for a few years, even though they were from the same timelines. I still remember that this was aired on the Hallmark Channel in India. I absolutely LOVED the show.

The idea that a Starship that has been flung to the other side of the galaxy along with a smaller vessel full of rebels and has to work together to get back home, was great to me. I mean the potential of the story was amazing. And in my eyes Voyager lived up to it. I was unable to finish watching Voyager as the Hallmark Channel was discontinued by my cable operator. I have always wanted to obtain a copy of the series and finish it. Because by then I had come to love the characters (Captain Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok, B'lenna, Tom Paris, Harry and of course Neelix and the Doctor).

Just last month a very good friend of mine, Aashith forwarded a link to me. Hulu was streaming the whole Star Trek Franchise for free for a whole week. As you may already know Hulu cannot be accessed from India. But Aashith also found me a way to circumvent the problem. So I started watching Star Trek : The Next Generation. I also started to download the series simultaneously as there was no way a week was enough time to watch it on Hulu in a week. This also prompted me to do the same with Voyager. So now I have all episodes of both The Next Generation and Voyager.


I set out to watch The Next Generation (TNG) & Voyager. There are a few similarities between the two in the sense that TNG has an Android Data who is trying to learn to be more human and Voyager has the Doctor. TNG has Guinan and Voyager, Neelix. Deanna Troi in TNG and Kes in the first few seasons of Voyager. Even though they are the same they were quite different. In case of Data, he could still not achieve the level of humanity he yearned for, couldn't feel emotion. In the Doctor's case he was perfectly happy being the Emergency Medical Hologram in the beginning. But unlike Data the Doctor could add different personalities to his Holo Program and was even able to fall in love. There are similar divergences from the basic stock of characters in the 2 series. That is what makes these series so great to watch.

There might be people (some of them my own friends) who might think this show is just about people flying in spaceships encountering aliens. These shows are so much more than that. If only people would let go of that misconceptions. Ironically this show helps us in that. The show handles a lot of hard hitting issues.

I still haven't finished watching the complete seasons of both Voyager and TNG. Once I do I plan on watching Deep Space 9 next and maybe even watch the original with Shatner in it.i can finally understand the jokes, quotes and obscure references made in many movies/books/series. And I am also evolving in to a pretty good nerd even though I say so myself. But my Trekkie fandom is a fandom of one. At least when it comes to LOTR I have a few friends who love it as much as I do, but there is no one (so far) with whom I can share my love of Star Trek with.

Now that I am watching so much Star Trek I might start making references to it in my conversations with my friends which they might not understand. This leaves me with no choice. Even though I do not like the Borg I would have to take a page from their book and assimilate my friends so that they enjoy Star trek as much as I do. All that's left to say is "Live long and Prosper"


No comments:

Post a Comment